Study Permit

Canadian education system is recognized all over the world. Canada has some top ranked universities such as University of Toronto, University of British Columbia, McGill University and McMaster University. Canada law requires all international students to obtain study permit to study at designated learning institutions (DLI) in Canada.

Eligibility Criteria

  • Student should be enrolled at a designated learning institution (DLI).
  • Student must have valid passport and travel documents.
  • Student need to show proof of enough money in bank accounts to support themselves financially while staying in Canada.
  • Students should have a clean criminal record. If necessary student need to provide a police certificate.
  • Student need to complete medical exam and be in good health.

Financial Support

Applicants for the study permit are required to prove they have enough money to cover the first year of tuition fees. They also need to have the financial resources to support themselves, and any accompanying family members, for each year.

Number of Family Members Funds Required (in Canadian dollars) except Quebec
Single student Tuition plus $10,000 for a 12-month period (or $833 per month)
1 accompanying family member add $4,000 for a 12-month period (or $333 per month)
For each additional family member $3,000 for a 12-month period per dependent child of any age (or $255 per month)

Study Permit Validity

A study permit is usually valid for the length of your study program. A student can extend their study permit if they can’t finish their courses before the expiry date of their study permit or if they wish to study more. Study permit doesn’t allow students to enter Canada, all international student must obtain a valid temporary resident visa or an Temporary Resident Visa or an Electronic Travel Authorization before entering Canada.

After Graduation

Study permit expires after 90 days of graduation. International students must make decision within 90 days of graduation and update IRCC. Many students decide to stay in Canada after completion of their studies, as they are eligible to apply for Post Secondary Work Permit (PGWP). This is a open work permit which allows newly graduates to work anywhere in Canada and for any employer.

Students who does not wish to apply for PGWP can do any of these options:

  • Apply for another study permit, if they wish to continue their studies
  • Apply for Visitor Visa, if they wish to explore Canada.
  • Leave Canada

Prospect Canada Services will help you to find right School, College or University for you and help you to obtain a valid study permit along visitor visa.

Submit a free assessment with us!

Under the how often tab, you can choose how often you want google to send you alerts.